POETRY RESOURCES AND OTHER POETICS FOR POETRY READERS AND
POETRY STARTERS - FIRST LINES
Developed by Glennis Hobbs, ©2001
Sometimes, all you needed to get started writing a poem is that elusive first line. Here are some suggested first lines. Have fun writing.
- as I lay waiting for my surgery
- it's not easy being (fill in blank with a colour)
- a friend is someone who
- another night in a cheap motel
- it's a long drive to
- if I could go back to yesterday
- if God wanted me to touch the floor
- a year ago I wondered what I'd be doing a year from now
- my dear enemy
- a face he/she has never seen
- last week at four in the morning after
- I am here to unearth my feeling for ......
- words are....
- a psychic saw...
- as a child I chanted
- my family is not my enemy
- I feel sexy when I wear ....
- when I can't go outside because of the weather, I...
- snow (or rain, or fog, or sunshine substiute some other word related to weather) makes me think of you
- I was tied up in knots
- three a. m. silence, I'm all alone
- if my pet wrote about me, what would he say
- I want to be your slave
- if I had three wishes
- I am the last of my line
- I am an old woman (man) now, but then I was
- last night I dreamt I went to (place) again
- no one remembers her origins
- in the dusty little corners of (place)
- the sky above the lake was the colour of...
- it was love at first sight
- when I see closed doors
- because I could not stop for
- I wrote you a poem
- when you take a day off
- when you're sleep deprived
- a lie is like a ...
- by the fireplace tonight
- a man (woman) is not old until....
- success has a simple formula
- your beauty is beyond compare
- my happiness depends on....
- on angel's wings
- a road less travelled